+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Discount not showing up

Client
    Squirrelcart version
    v3.2.0

Question Discount not showing up

I'm attempting to set up a discount where, if anyone buys one of our products at regular price, they can get a second one for 50% off. When I enable it, it doesn't seem to show up in the cart.

I'm running SquirrelCart version 3.2.0.

The Enabled, Advertise, and Advertise Conditions checkboxes are all checked.

All of the relevant products are selected in the Product(s) to Discount list.

Buy X get Y for is checked and X and Y are each set to 2 and 1 respectively; Enforce Y is checked.

Price Is is set to reduced by and Price Reduction is set to 50 %.

Display Products is set to as discounted.

If I go into the storefront and go to an item's page, I see the information describing the discount below the item description. But if I put two products in the cart, they appear listed with the normal price, and there's no indication that the second product is 50% off.

Am I missing something?

Alan

Squirrelcart version
    v3.5.0
    If you have X set to 2, and Y set to 1, you must buy 3 total. It is then literally:

Buy X (2) and get Y (1) free (or whatever you setup for the discount). A quantity of 2 will not trigger that discount. If you want it to discount the 2nd item, you'll need to change X to 1.

Client
    Squirrelcart version
    v3.2.0
    Hmmm, I tried that and that didn't seem to work either... let me give it another shot now that I've gotten a good night's sleep...

Alan

Client
    Squirrelcart version
    v3.2.0
    Yeah, that also gives me the same result - both items for full price...

Alan

Squirrelcart version
    v3.5.0
    At this point, I'll need access to your site via a helpdesk ticket to determine the cause, or a screenshot showing the entire discount record.

Client
    Squirrelcart version
    v3.2.0
    I'll start with screen shots. Note that the Enabled checkbox is unchecked currently, didn't want it to show and confuse customers until I get it figured out.

Top part of the page:
    [IMG]http:\\kidflixglobal.com\discount problem-1.png[/IMG]

Rest of the page:
    [IMG]http:\\kidflixglobal.com/discount problem-2.png[/IMG]

I'll go ahead and open a helpdesk ticket...

Alan

Client
    Squirrelcart version
    v3.2.0
    Ooops, copy and pasted the name from a Windows machine while it was on the local drive and got myself mixed up between slashes and backslashes...

Top of page:
    http://kidflixglobal.com/discount problem-1.png

Rest of the page:
    http://kidflixglobal.com/discount problem-2.png

Squirrelcart version
    v3.5.0
    OK. I think I know what is going on here. Buy X Get Y discounts are only able to discount individual items. Based on the way this discount is setup, it is only going to work if you buy (2) of the same item. I'm guessing you are testing by adding 2 different items to the cart. You can't mix different items for this type of discount unfortunately.

Client
    Squirrelcart version
    v3.2.0
    Aha, I wondered about that... in fact I think I tried that on a suspicion but that was probably when I had X=2 and Y=1.

So how can I arrange it so that someone can order any title and get a discount on any other title?

Alan

Squirrelcart version
    v3.5.0
    So how can I arrange it so that someone can order any title and get a discount on any other title?
    There is no easy way to do that. The only alternative would be to create a discount that discounts both items by a percentage when the quantity for the entire order is 2, or 4, or 6, or 8, etc...

Client
    Squirrelcart version
    v3.2.0
    Yikes, I'm surprised. It seems like a pretty normal way to discount something like CDs, DVDs, etc.

Will have to ponder this...

Alan

Client
    Squirrelcart version
    v3.2.0
    The more I think about this the more strange it seems to me... aside from CDs or DVDs, what about clothing stores (buy one of our shirts and get another for half-price, for example)... surely this is a completely ordinary, standard type of discount and people must be doing it somehow...

Alan

Client
    Squirrelcart version
    v3.2.0
    No one out there in the SquirrelCart community is doing discounts like this???

Squirrelcart version
    v3.5.0
    While discounts like this make perfect sense, it is not possible with Squirrelcart which is probably why no one (Squirrelcart customer) has replied.

I will be adding support for this in the future. I do not have a timeframe for this right now, but it is planned.

Client
    Squirrelcart version
    v3.2.0
    Thanks, Jamie.

I am a bit dismayed that this isn't supported in a simple way.

I managed to figure out a way to do it with some rules, but they depend on the fact that all the titles we have sport the identical regular price so far ($19.95). So I made rules that say if the number of items in the order is 2 or more, and the order price is 30.90 or above, they entire order is discounted by 9.98. But if the prices differed this wouldn't work.

Alan

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information