Closed Thread

Thread: Mobile Site

Client
    Squirrelcart version
    not specified!

Mobile Site

Does anyone know if SquirrelCart has a mobile site feature or if anyone has made one yet?

Client
    Squirrelcart version
    v3.4.0
    http://www.woodwickcandles.ca/store/...me_current=459

Best to view it on a mobile device for best effect, but can be viewed within normal browser window

IMG_1010.PNG

Also secretly working on an iPhone app

IMG_0976.PNG

IMG_0973.PNG

Client
    Squirrelcart version
    not specified!

How?

How did you do the coding for that site?

Does the checkout and payment gateways work fine on mobile devices?

Client
    Squirrelcart version
    v3.4.0

2 parts

Part One...

You have to develop a site seperate from your base browser site UNLESS you use a "Responsive Themed" website... do a google search... A responsive theme changes based on the browsing equipment i.e. desktop, laptop, iPad, iPhone, smartphone etc. Basically, you have one website that changes as required. It is more than just resizing a desktop browser window to fit inside a smartphone size.

What I showed you is NOT a responsive themed website...

You've seen my mobile site, if you view my "regular" site they are different...

www.woodwickcandles.ca

So since, I do NOT have a responsive theme you are seeing TWO different websites. One for Mobile and one for desktop. HOWEVER, AND THIS IS IMPORTANT, regardless of the webview, the store is the same store. i.e. - when you buy a product from a mobile device it is removed from inventory on the desktop store. It's ONE store with TWO different themes...

So, if you want your store on a mobile device and NOT JUST RESIZE to a mobile window, you'll have to learn the code to make a website, mobile compatible.

Then you can change some CCS to change your desktop theme to a mobile theme like I did. It it NOT easy. You have to know how to create a mobile website and you have to know how to create a new CSS to FIT into that mobile window.

Yes, payment and check out is the same and secure. It's one store, with a different theme. Albeit a small theme.

John

Part Two...

Here is a link to better understand responsive themes, if you do not want to create two websites...

http://ncdthemes.com/preview/rapidweaver/mark_1/

Client
    Squirrelcart version
    not specified!
    Would you be willing to share your mobile theme?

Client
    Squirrelcart version
    v3.4.0
    Sorry, I believe, Jamie is working on one.

I would not want to break any rules here nor am I willing to give away hundreds of hours in development time.

I do think that mobile is a huge future for us, and if we (as developers and designers) can bring the squirrelcart user experience to mobile devices - it will serve our bottom line (product sales)...

John

Squirrelcart version
    v3.5.0
    We will be offering a mobile theme in the future. I don't have a timeframe for this but it is coming.

Client
    Squirrelcart version
    v3.5.0
    I'm thinking of buying a couple of SC 3.5.0 licenses, one for a US website and one for a UK website. Does this girlfriend stealing version have a mobile theme, or is one in the pipeline?

Squirrelcart version
    v3.5.0
    Version 3.5.0 does not include a mobile theme. We will be offering one in the future. I don't have a timeframe for it right now.

Client
    Squirrelcart version
    v3.5.7
    Jamie,

Any update on when a mobile theme may be available?

Thanks,

Rick

Squirrelcart version
    v3.5.0
    Hi Rick,

I don't have a release date for this. Version 3.6.0 will be coming as soon as possible with many new features. I don't think a mobile theme will make it into version 3.6 but I can't rule it out.

Client
    Squirrelcart version
    v3.5.0
    4-5 years ago customers using mobiles were a small blip in our visitor stats. Now about 15% of our site traffic is mobile. I won't be surprised if that percentage doubles in the next year or two.

Squirrelcart version
    v3.5.0
    Yes, I realize mobile traffic is certainly on the rise. Squirrelcart works fine on most mobile devices. We will have a stripped-down theme specific for smaller screens available as soon as it is humanly possible to do so.

Closed Thread

Thread Information